Last year, we were very excited to be able to travel and had a fantastic time competing in Almere. For some it was their first time competing at track and field and for most it was a great finish to the end of their first season. However, we did have a few more experienced athletes who wanted to push themselves in their specialist events.
Despite the hot weather the 8 athletes competed in all events and from 60 entries we achieved 45 PBs and 42 medals.
This year we are hosting the games and we would love as many people as possible from the club to be involved.
The athletes arrive on Thursday 20th July, will train on Friday 21st July and compete on Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd July. They will have activities on Monday 24th July before departing on Tuesday 25th July.
So how can you be involved?
• we are looking for athletes, born between September 2006 and December 2010, to compete. These athletes would usually host visiting athletes, attend the opening ceremony in the evening of Friday 21st and the closing ceremony on Monday 24th and a participants disco on one of the other evenings.
• host families for athletics leaders of the visiting teams as well as participants.
• track and field officials for the competing days.
• track and field helpers for the training and competing days (no qualifications or previous experience needed, but helping at Mid Lancs or YDL's would help the club and give you insight into helping.)
• clubhouse helpers - manning the kitchen, keeping the clubhouse a safe space and possibly helping with first aid (if you are trained).
• possible catering opportunities
• fund raising or applying for grants/sponsorship in the coming months.
We need to be able to confirm that we have enough support to host, so the travelling teams can book transport etc, so please don't delay and help this summer be a fantastic experience for all involved in the youth games.