It became Lunesdale and Primrose Athletic club running in sky blue and Scarlet for track while cross country athlete ran in white vests in green band.
Then in 1965 (following meeting throughout the summer) Lunesdale and Primrose merged with the College of Further Education Athletic Club to become Lancaster and Morecambe Athletic club. The Lancaster Guardian tells us they 1st competed on Saturday 19th October and first met together on Monday 21st October. Secretary was a Mr A W Bibby.
The rest is history.
1 Until 1962, athletes in the Lancaster/Morecambe area had a choice of 3 clubs to join – Primrose Harriers, Lunesdale Athletic Club and Lancaster Harriers.
2 As a base for training, Primrose Harriers used a hut at Far Moor sports field at Quernmore Road. The hut belonged to a football team - Dry Dock United. Primrose also used the Mission Hall in Westham Street.
3 Primrose Harriers had only 10 members in 1949 and the club was male only until 1953!
4 Our oldest member, Arnold Bibby was secretary when Primrose Harriers and Lunesdale Athletic Club amalgamated in 1962. Arnold had joined the club in 1949.
5 A new cinder athletics track was built in the early 60s at Lancaster and Morecambe College and this led to the Trimpell Sports Club establishing an athletics club at the college.
6 On 23 July 1965, Lunesdale and Primrose joined with the College athletic club to form Lancaster and Morecambe Athletic Club.
7 The road running section was established at the college after the amalgamation of the two clubs.
8 Mike Freary, who was a Primrose Club member from 1955 until 1960, set a UK 10,000m record time of 28 mins 26 seconds in1966. He had moved to Bolton for work, and was then
running for Bolton Harriers.
9 Another well known club athlete was Mark Croasdale who in addition to setting several club records achieved national fame by running against a horse over 22 miles in Wales and just losing the race by two minutes.
10 From 10 members in 1949 and very basic facilities, the club has now over 400 members with track and field facilities, and a purpose built
clubhouse. That’s progress.
You can see some photos from our history